Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Are You a Science or Humanities Person(or Both)?


    My name is Christina and currently, I am a full-time student at LaGuardia Community College with a major in Liberal Arts and a minor in Theater and Communication. I am scheduled to graduate in June of 2013 and I am excited to pursue a career in Psychology.  During this last semester I realized my true passion was Psychology since I have a fascination with human behavior and the mind.
      As I describe myself, I believe I am equally drawn to science and humanities. I have strong interest in science and the knowledge of investigating the unknown.  However, I also enjoy humanities because of the philosophical aspects that can be found in literature and the dramatic
stories that reveal our history. Overall, I have a strong interest in the elements of theatre and how the art of drama is present in each culture. The history of theatre in ancient Greece has a rich background that is known for expressing the philosophies of that time that helped create the foundation of knowledge in our western society. Through these ancient Greek dramas,
our modern society get a glimpse into the study of problems that still exist in the modern world and how the foundation of critical thinking was developed. Many Ancient societies have demonstrated through their theatre, how they view wrong to right and the culture of true beauty of human life.  Even though, people believe that science and humanities are separate, I believe that they are essential and the two focuses are interdependent since they both explain the unknown stories of existence.
     Hence, that is the reason my first major is Theater and Communication because I have a hunger for history and the philosophy of life. Additionally, as I continue my education I changed my major to Psychology since I am also fascinated by the science of medicine which is a different way the story of the human experience and our history is told.

No comments:

Post a Comment